Howto munge packets?

From: Neal D. Becker (nbecker@fred.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 08:08:14 EST

We have a project that requires intercepting certain IP packets,
modifying their payload, and sending them on their way. The
modification is nontrivial, and so I think it would best be done in
user space. Can anyone suggest a general approach for how to
intercept packets, send them to user space, and then on to their
destination? Should we look at netfilter/netlink? I'd like to avoid
any kernel code.

TIA.