Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Stephen Samuel (samuel@bcgreen.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 18:29:56 EST

I think you missed the point of the petition. They're not asking
people to stop using bitkeeper. They're asking that it not be
advocated as an OFFICIAL kernel development/maintenance process.

As you said.. What you do in the privacy of your own home/office
is your business. On the other hand, what you advocate that the
Open Source community do in theirs is the business of the whole
community.

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:52:34PM -0500, The Open Source Club at The Ohio State University wrote:
>
>>have participated in active development. It is fine if some kernel
>>developers choose to use BitKeeper on their own machines, but
>>officially endorsing proprietary software as the means of working on
>>the kernel is a large step backwards for Linux, and for the Open
>>Source and Free Software communities.

> All hail the non-profit nazis from Ohio State. It's none of your
> f_cking business what we use to develop software. I use a hardware

Yep. and they acknowledged that at the start of their petition

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/