Re: Antwort: Re: Kernel Hangs 2.4.16 on heay io Oracle and Tivolie TSM

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 12:06:43 EST

On Monday, March 04, 2002 06:07:19 PM +0300 Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:

> Wasn't 2.4.16 the known unstable vm release of 2.4? Why do you go to
> such effort to stick with a bad kernel? Go to 2.4.18.

I'm not sure exactly which vm problems you mean, but He's running the
suse 2.4.16, which is heavily patched. When your running big production
databases, upgrading to the kernel of the week isn't an option.

I think we've found the bug, it looks like a race in the proc code.

Oliver, someone will contact you a little later with instructions on
getting a kernel with the fix. If you only see this oops during backups,
make sure you aren't trying to backup /proc.

-chris