Re: Does kmalloc always return address below 4GB?

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 09:43:35 EST

> | If you acquired your memory via the page allocator
> | (i.e. __get_free_page*()) or the generic memory allocators
> | (i.e. kmalloc() or kmem_cache_alloc()) then you may DMA to/from
> | that memory using the addresses returned from those routines.
[...]
>Probably it should qualify what it means with "and you used
>GFP_KERNEL". Because that was the intention.

        That change alone would result in a setence that
I still would not understand. Does GFP_KERNEL guarantee address
below 4GB on all architectures? The GFP_KERNEL mask that currently
includes __GFP_IO, but I'm not sure that that even means "below 4GB"
on all architectures. If __GFP_IO really does guarantee "below 4GB
and physical = virtual" on all architectures, then it sounds like
I am back to not having to use pci_{,un}map_single in a number of
places in advansys.c, because the Scsi_Request structurs are allocated
with GFP_ATOMIC, which also includes __GFP_IO.

>I'll fix that.

>However, you can use GFP_HIGH memory with pci_map_page _iff_
>you set your DMA mask to allow 64-bits.

>The original impetus for that quoted bit of DMA-mapping.txt
>was to make sure nobody used vmalloc() or kmap() pointers.

        Just to be clear, I assume that you mean that you cannot
simply cast these virtual addresses to dma_addr_t and that the
underlying physical memory is not guaranteed to be below 4GB,
but that you can use that memory with pci_map_single if your
PCI device can handle 64 bit addresses.

        If I got it right, then here is some proposed replacement
text, to possibly save you a little effort:

| You cannot directly use an address in an area returned by
| vmalloc() or kmap(), because these routines are *not* guaranteed to
| return addresses where virtual == cpu memory bus == pci. You
| cannot even use those addresses with PCI device that only have
| 32 bit addressing, because the underlying physical memory may be
| above 4GB.
|
| However, a PCI card that does 64-bit addressing can
| access memory returned by vmalloc or kmap via the dma_addr_t
| address returned by pci_map_single or pci_map_page.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."