Re: 2.4.19pre1aa1

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 19:12:25 EST

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:46:54AM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> > seems to me to be that the way we do current swap-out scanning is virtual,
> > not physical, and thus cannot be per zone => per node.
>
> actually if you do process bindings the pte should be all allocated
> local to the node if numa is enabled, and if there's no binding, no
> matter if you have rmap or not, the ptes can be spread across the whole
> system (just like the physical pages in the inactive/active lrus,
> because they're not per-node).

Think shared pages.

With -rmap you'll scan all the page table entries mapping
the pages on the current node, regardless of which node
the page tables live.

Without -rmap you'll need to scan all page table entries
in the system, not just the ones mapping pages on the
current node.

regards,

Rik

--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document