Re: Gigabit Performance 2.4.19-preX - Excessive locks, calls, waits

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 12:39:31 EST

Hi Jeff,

Have you tried the NAPI patch and the NAPI'fied e1000 driver?
I'm not sure how far the development has come but I know it improves
performance quite a bit versus the regular e1000 driver.

You'll find it here:
ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/NAPI/

kernel/napi-patch-ank is the NAPI patch, you need to change
the get_fast_time() call to do_gettimeofday() for it to compile.

e1000/ is the NAPI'fied e1000 driver, the latest release is from Jan 29
but there is a document that describes how you checkout the latest version
via cvs.

I've never tried the e1000 NAPI driver since I don't have one of these
boards but I use the tulip NAPI driver a lot here and it works great,
impressive performance.

I hope you get better performance.

/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.