Antwort: Re: Kernel Hangs 2.4.16 on heay io Oracle and Tivolie TSM

From: Oliver.Schersand@BASF-IT-Services.com
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 02:35:36 EST

Hi,

on saturday a had a nice day with 16 houre to find a workaround to bring
linux stable.
I had moved the server from reiserfs to ext2 for all datafile areas. The
move with tar
runs without any crash. I had an about 60 to 75 MB/second transfer ( read +
write) on the
move of the oracle datafiles.

After startup of oracle and backup the open datafiles ( i know this is
nonsens but its a good stress test)
i get a crash. On a reiserfs this would crash immediately. On ext2 crash
happend after about 2.5houres of backup ( about 80GB datafiles).
After this i switched backup to kernel version 2.2.19. ---> The system runs
now without crash.
On other server without oracle but which are have tsm backup we had no
problems with 2.4.16 ( at the moment only about 15 Servers)

Its seems that you are right an we have a serious vm bug. This bug is only
viewable if you user oracle and tsm (tivoli storage manager) .... Strange.

Kinds regards

Oliver Schersand