RE: hardware VLAN acceleration

From: Leech, Christopher (christopher.leech@intel.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:38:24 EST

> Any time VLAN groups exist, the VLAN module should not be unloadable.
>
> This is a hokey area of how the VLAN layer works and I intend
> to fix it.

OK. I was just trying really hard to find potential API problems earlier
rather than later, obviously without taking the time to completely
understand the VLAN layer internals :)

I don't see why it wouldn't be desirable to have a method of stopping the
driver from continuing to call vlan_hwaccel_rx, so that the vlan_group could
be freed after all the VIDs were removed. It could be as simple as
declaring that dev->vlan_rx_register(dev, NULL) is valid.

        Chris