Re: Problem? 802.1q kernel 2.4.18-rc1-rmap12f

From: Teodor Iacob (theo@astral.kappa.ro)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 17:05:37 EST

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.31.0202221815590.28962-100000@linux.kappa.ro>,
> Teodor Iacob <Teodor.Iacob@astral.kappa.ro> wrote:
> >I want to use the eth0 as 2 subinterfaces with 802.1q with vlan IDs 3 and
> >5, so this is how I set the whole thing up:
> >
> >/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # This to make the link of the interface up
> >vconfig add eth0 5
> >vconfig add eth0 3
> >
> >/sbin/ifconfig eth0.5 inet ..etc..
> >/sbin/ifconfig eth0.3 inet ...etc..
> >
> >and I have also the default gateway through the eth0.5 vlan.
> >
> >Now after a fresh start, I can ping whatever I want, but I cannot start a
> >file transfer, it just locks up after first 1024 bytes ( as seen with tick
> >in simple ftp command ).
>
> Did you patch the ethernet driver so that it supports the bigger
> MTUs needed for VLAN support ? It's all described in the VLAN patch docs.

Is there any drawback to use this patch? :
In const char i82557_config_cmd[22] = {
- 0x68, 0, 0x40, 0xf2, 0xBD, /* 0xBD->0xFD=Force
full-duplex */
+ 0x68, 0, 0x40, 0xfa, 0xBD, /* 0xBD->0xFD=Force
full-duplex */

I use the other 2 interfaces in normal mode and they are eepro100 too,
only one uses 2 tagged subinterfaces.

Btw, I was able to reconfigure the whole thing and it does work fine now,
but I can't really make a test now with the other two interfaces since I
did all this remotely.