Re: SC1200 support?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 06:14:35 EST

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:56:12 +0100 (CET),
Christer Weinigel <wingel@acolyte.hack.org> wrote:
>I usually add "NO_MAKEFILE_GEN=anything" when compiling things so to
>avoid the dependency checking when just doing small changes, but I'm
>not allowed to do "make NO_MAKEFILE_GEN=anything install" which is a
>bit of a pain. I usually run everything on my test system over NFS so
>I install the modules straight into the NFS tree. So I'd really like
>to be able to tell the kbuild system "I know what I'm doing, don't
>babysit me".

A build with NO_MAKEFILE_GEN=1 is _not_ necessarily complete or
correct. NO_MAKEFILE_GEN is for quick compiles to catch typing errors
or to add the odd printk, I cannot guarantee that the result has
recompiled everything. I suppose I could add an option like
I_KNOW_THAT_THIS_BUILD_MAY_BE_INCORRECT_BUT_I_WANT_TO_INSTALL_IT_ANYWAY ;)

>Is it still possible to build modules outside of the kernel tree? I
>really like the MTD model of building some modules where the Makefile
>looks like this:
>
>ifndef TOPDIR
>TOPDIR:=$(shell cd ../linux && pwd)
>endif
>
>all:
> make -C $(TOPDIR) SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
>
>M_OBJS := my_module.o
>
># Real actions are started from Rules.make
>include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make
>
>Because this way I can build third party modules afterwards without
>having to recompile everything else.

Shadow trees already handle separate compilation. Unlike kbuild 2.4,
nothing else is recompiled in kbuild 2.5, unless you have changed it.