Re: Idiot-proof APIC?

From: Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 19:19:00 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 08:07:47PM +0100, Allan Sandfeld wrote:
> > Hi, I just want to share some of my stupidity and my experience with it with
> > you.
> > I recently had the misfortune to try to put two celerons on an SMP-board. The
> > bios correctly ignored the second cpu, but the linux-kernel(2.4.17). Would
> > boot almost normally then emit two APIC-errors to the console(error 2 and
> > 6?), and shortly after freeze completely.

<snip>

> Actually, with the correct adapters, celerons can be made SMP safe.
>
> I would immagine that it is hard to detect if there is a adapter operating
> correctly from the APIC code...

Only have to agree with Mike here. I made the hardware mod to two
slot-A celerons and haven't had any trouble at all from the machine.

If this is 'fixed', hopefully a command-line override will be added!

Mark

Mark Cooke                  The views expressed above are mine and are not
Systems Programmer          necessarily representative of university policy
University Of Birmingham    URL: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/~mpc/