Patch or module?

From: cschumpf@gmx.net
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 13:27:17 EST

If thats not the right group to discuss that, please let me know.

I would like to write an IO-Bandwidth-Limiter on per Process and per
User-Basis for a few disk drives. I can either patch the kernel functions read/write
and enhance the task- and user-structure and globally check if the correct
devices are adressed or I can write my own module, twist pointers from the
filesystems on the drives and store the information about users and tasks there.

I like the second approach way better, but its maybe slower. I have to do an
extra search in my structures for user and task ids, which is maybe more
expensive than an 'if' in the read/write-funktion.

Any guidelines? Any recommendations?

Thanks

http://www.gmx.net