Re: Disgusted with kbuild developers

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 07:36:29 EST

> 1) CONFIG_FOO_OPTION requires CONFIG_FOO
> 2) CONFIG_SUBSYS2 requires CONFIG_SUBSYS1
>
> The reason why #2 is different, is the desired prompting and symbol
> behavior for the end user.

You can tell a subsystem from a module quite reliably because it has a
subtree of dependant questions. Now you might get it wrong, but its still
correct to prompt for the subtree of questions again since if you've just
forced on eepro100 for example, you do want to be asked mmio/pio and the
like

> If CONFIG_SUBSYS1="" and CONFIG_SUBSYS2="", then we gotta prompt for
> CONFIG_SUBSYS1, but -after- CONFIG_SUBSYS2 is prompted for.

The graph tells you that. The only interesting case I could find is the
negation one - some rules are A conflicts with B which makes the UI side
much more fun