Re: Problems with iso9660 as initrd

From: Christian Laursen (xi@borderworlds.dk)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 17:30:24 EST

Matthias Kilian <kili@outback.escape.de> writes:

> On 6 Feb 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > > I am building a floppy using a compressed iso9660 filesystem as an
> > > initrd image.
> [...]
> > You definitely are... I don't think anyone else has ever tried running
> > a zisofs off a ramdisk before!
>
> On for an initrd, it will never work, since initrd checks for minix, ext2
> and romfs only (see drivers/block/rd.c, identify_ramdisk_image()).

It seems you are right. To be more precise it will not work on a ramdisk at
all.

A normal ramdisk will just fail to mount when there's an iso9660 fs on it,
whereas an initrd seems to cause a panic.

I guess it would be nice to output a somewhat friendly error message instead.

Oh well...

After further research I decided to use romfs instead, since it can too be
generated quite easily with a script, and it works quite well.

--
Best regards
    Christian Laursen