Re: PCI Hotplug and Linux 2.5.4-pre2

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 13:50:28 EST

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:32:17AM -0800, Brian Strand wrote:

> I vote yes; I always turn on as many modularizable chunks as possible,
> to increase "compile coverage". And we all know if it compiles, it
> works, right?

 I hope that was sarcasm 8-) Some things such as the NCR5380 'fixes'
 in Linus tree have put the driver into a state where it compiles and
 maybe even runs, but it's almost guaranteed to corrupt. There's
 a more complete set of fixes for some of these problems in my tree,
 but alas, doesn't compile..

 Numerous other bio related problems have been reported and had
 'quick fixes' offered for them which turn out to be worse than
 a non-compiling driver.