Re: [RFC] List of maintainers

From: Denis Vlasenko (vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 06:58:49 EST

On 5 February 2002 16:00, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@ucw.cz> [5 feb 2002]
> > > Input device drivers (drivers/input/*, drivers/char/joystick/*).
> > > Some USB drivers (printer, acm, catc, hid*, usbmouse, usbkbd, wacom).
> > > VIA IDE support.
> >
> > I want these entries to sound like "Hey, I am working on these parts of
> > the kernel, if you have something, send it to me not to Linus". With
> > precise indication of those parts and your level of involvement:
>
> Um, isn't that what Vojtech said? You just converted his response into
> full sentances.

I am happy with his entry. "I want these entries...." was targeted mostly at
other entry makers.

> But I'm curious why you want to sort the list of maintainers by the
> maintainer name. Isn't the format of the current MAINTAINERS file much
> nicer in that it's sorted by subsystem and driver type? For if you want
> to know who to send your USB Printer driver changes to, you just look
> that up, instead of having to search through your file, which is ordered
> in the other way.

Hmm. Don't know how to do it best... reverse date sort clearly shows obsolete
entries, I like it. Also people might like to see who is in the upper part of
the list (i.e. who is active), I like it too.

> So in short, why are you trying to do this?

To improve lk development process. To help bug reports and patches reach
_relevant_ addresses. This is big problem now, big guys may ignore small
fixes, fixes posted to lkml are likely to never even _reach_ big guys who
don't read lkml (guess who :-). This confuse newcomers and J. Random Hackers.

I hope patchbot and dynamically updated maintainer list may help lk
development scale better.

--
vda