Re: one-line-patch against SCSI-Read-Error-BUG()

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 00:10:23 EST

Patrick Mansfield wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:32:10PM +0100, Ralf Oehler wrote:
> > Hi, List
> >
> > I think, I found a very simple solution for this annoying BUG().
> >
> > Since at least kernel 2.4.16 there is a BUG() in pci.h,
> > that crashes the kernel on any attempt to read a SCSI-Sector
> > from an erased MO-Medium and on any attempt to read
> > a sector from a SCSI-disk, which returns "Read-Error".
> >
> > There seems to be a thinko in the corresponding code, which
> > does not take into account the case where a SCSI-READ
> > does not return any data because of a "sense code: read error"
> > or a "sense code: blank sector".
>
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
>
> Ralf -
>
> A retried IO for a host busy (queuecommand returns 1) or SCSI queue full
> case calls scsi_mlqueue_insert; it eventually calls __scsi_insert_special,
> where we then set:
>
> rq->cmd = SPECIAL
>
> The IO is then resent, and if it completes, it looks like everything will
> complete OK.
>
> But, if we then get a check condition for the same command, sd.c will call
> scsi_io_completion - it nulls out some buffers, including request_buffer,
> and then it requeues the command without modifying rq->cmd.
>
> scsi_request_fn() sees that we now have cmd == SPECIAL, and a valid
> SCpnt, and does not re-init the IO - this means request_buffer is still
> NULL.
>
> I can't tell from your earlier oops stack where exactly you are in the aic
> code, but it could be a dereference of request_buffer (stored in cur_seg),
> but I would think you would have seen a NULL pointer dereference rather
> than hitting the BUG().
>
> I don't know what conditions on your system might lead to a host busy or
> queue full, but, it seems possible that we could have a queue full or host
> busy immediately followed by a check condition.
>
> In 2.4, I don't know how this can be fixed without adding another field
> in Scsi_Cmnd, we could just try setting cmd back to not be SPECIAL, but
> the original value is not saved - you could try such a hack and see if
> it still oopses. You could also add a check to pci_map_sg to print
> out the value of sg when the BUG() is hit.
>
> In 2.5, we might be able to clear REQ_CMD, then set REQ_SPECIAL (in
> __scsi_insert_special), and then clear REQ_SPECIAL and set REQ_CMD
> in scsi_queue_next_request (when SCpnt != NULL).
>
> You can see if you are hitting the busy cases by turning on SCSI mlcomplete
> (to see queue full retries) and mlqueue logging (to see the host busy retries),
> and looking for log messages. (Turning on scsi logging with syslogd and/or
> klogd? running can flood your system with log messages.)
>
> It also looks the race condition checked for in scsi_mlqueue_insert
> is faulty (device_busy or host_busy == 0, but we are just about to
> decrement them, so they can't ever be 0, it should compare them to 1),
> [...]

My investigations show an infinite loop commences on the
adapter driver's queue_command() when a MEDIUM_ERROR is
reported. I have added an option to scsi_debug to simulate
a MEDIUM ERROR at a fixed address (0x1234). If I use sg
to read the scsi_debug ram disk it is well behaved,
stopping in an orderly fashion in sg_dd at the bad block.

However if that bad block is read via sd then the scsi_debug
driver's queue_command() entry point is called indefinitely
trying to reread the range that contains the bad block.

A new scsi_debug driver, version 1.58 has been placed
on http://www.torque.net/sg/sdebug.html
Load the scsi_debug module with "scsi_debug_opts=3" to
get debug output and the medium_error at block 0x1234 .

So the problem has been reported on these adapter
drivers: aic7xxx, sym53c8xx and scsi_debug . It is
interesting that sg doesn't have problems, probably
because it sets "retries" to 1 (i.e. don't retry).
Looks like the error handling logic is broken.

Doug Gilbert