Re: want opinions on possible glitch in 2.4 network error reporting

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 23:21:09 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

>>>That is correct UDP behaviour
>>>
>>This is totally untrue, unless the socket doing non-blocking I/O -- and
>>even then you get -1 and EAGAIN from sendto.
>>

> Not the case.

Are you claiming that you will never see -1 and EAGAIN on a nonblocking
UDP socket with sendto? If so, I'll bet you a kernel patch that you are not
correct (I get to write the patch and you include it :) )

>>there is no way to "lose" that data before it hits the wire, unless of
>>course the network driver is broken and doesn't plug the upper layers when
>>its TX queue is full.
>>

> UDP is not flow controlled.

If it makes it through sendto, where can it be dropped before it
hits the wire? I doubt the socket buffers are anthing other than FIFO,
and the same goes for the ethernet/device queue. Since we (can) know
at sendto whether or not the PDU was enqueued for transmit, it seems
trivial to notify user space of success/failure of the local network
stack, and I believe this is what is done.

Now granted, it can be dropped anywhere outside of the machine, but
I can see no good reason to drop it inside the machine.

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>