Re: How to check the kernel compile options ?

From: Alex Bligh - linux-kernel (linux-kernel@alex.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:02:45 EST

--On Monday, 04 February, 2002 10:22 AM -0800 "H. Peter Anvin"
<hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> I have had in my /sbin/installkernel a clause to save .config as
> config-<foo> when I install vmlinuz-<foo>; I believe anyone not doing
> that[1] is, quite frankly, a moron.

Always being willing to rise to the challenge of being called
a moron:

Seems to me that if the prefered method of booting becomes
an initrd-esque thing + pivot_root, I /may/ (reasonably)
perhaps have these files on the initrd anyway, and /might/
not have it mounted (or at least not mounted on the same
path across multiple distributions), in which case being
able to access them through /proc (which incidentally
could do the decompression for us, giving plain text
out of /proc and using minimal memory) might be useful.
[of course this /is/ saving config-foo, but to a place
where it's might be useful to access it from /proc]

Ditto ksyms etc.

An advantage of having the kernel, config, ksyms
etc. as one atomic lump is one of the same reasons
as people are looking to have kernel and modules as one
atomic lump - i.e. much less chance of the wrong
ones being looked at.

I would be surprised if there is anyone on this list
who has not lost at some point either the .config, the
kysms, or something similar associated with at least
one build they've made.

--
Alex Bligh