RE: windows is more secure than linux!!

From: Little, John (JOHN.LITTLE@okdhs.org)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 16:35:50 EST

>From the security focus website :

Several things should be taken into consideration when interpreting these
numbers:

These numbers are dated; the collection and calculation of data stopped in
early August 2001 due to a site migration issue. We are currently working on
this issue and should have it resolved in the near future.

There is a distinct difference in the way that vulnerabilities are counted
for Microsoft Windows and other operating systems. For instance,
applications for Linux and BSD are often grouped in as subcomponents with
the operating systems that they are shipped with. For Windows, applications
and subcomponents such as Explorer often have their own packages that are
considered vulnerable or not vulnerable outside of Windows and therefore may
not be included in the count. This may skew numbers.

This is a simple raw count of the vulnerabilities in our database that are
associated directly with an operating system. The factors mentioned above
were not taken into consideration when generating these graphs.

The numbers presented below should not be considered a metric by which an
accurate comparison