Re: 760MPX IO/APIC Errors...

From: Jon Anderson (jon-anderson@rogers.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 19:08:23 EST

I get as far as APIC init. As soon as that happens, I get a flood (many
hundred or more per second) of these "APIC error on CPU0: 04(04)" errors,
and any progress seems to cease. The machine may in fact still be booting,
but I can't tell because any startup messages/login prompts would flash by
too quickly for me to notice them. (Plus, I think booting becomes painfully
slow because of all the error reporting.) My problem seems to be different
from Willy Tarreau's problem, in that he has two CPUs, and his disabling
MPS1.4 fixes his problem. For me, I have one CPU, and disabling MPS1.4 does
not solve the problem. My only option is disabling all APIC support in the
kernel. The APIC is probably still spitting out errors at an incredible
rate, I just can't see them. :-) Though my problem is not typical.

I've been searching through the linux-kernel and linux-smp mailing lists for
situations similar to mine, and there have been (as far as I can find) two
identical incidents reported, both by people with one CPU in the Asus
A7M266-D, a 2 CPU board. In my case, a single Duron (morgan core -
reportedly SMPable) and in the other guy's case, a single Athlon MP. Since
nobody else complains, I assume it's because the majority people who own the
A7M266-D also own 2 CPUs - which doesn't seem to cause problems. My
suggestion would then be that if you want to get an A7M266-D, make sure your
budget can accomodate 2 CPUs. :-)

I hope my input is helpful,

jon anderson