Re: Total lockups using ext3

From: Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 14:22:13 EST

On 01 Feb 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 06:10:48PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > They always occur when I am online, downloading. The moden stops, the
> > hard disk light is on, and no key works. They never happen with 2.2.20
> > or with earlier (i.e. pre-ext3) 2.4 kernels, and they never occur on my
> > laptop with any kernel, including those using ext3.
> >
> > Since inactivating ext3 (by changing /etc/fstab) the lockups have ceased
> > to occur.
> >
> > I therefore conclude that the lockups are due to ext3. I can manage
> > without it but would like to use it if possible. Any suggestions please?
>
> Doesn't sound like a filesystem problem --- if the hd remains on, it
> sounds very much as if you've got something going wrong in the disk
> stack, either in the ide driver or the disk itself giving up. The
> fact that it always happens when the modem is on also suggests that
> this is not a filesystem problem.
>

> Try reproducing it with a readable console enabled --- either run in
> text console mode (no X), or set up a serial console and use another
> machine to capture the output. "ttywatch" is excellent for monitoring
> serial consoles.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen

I doubt it's the disk; it works perfectly without ext3, even downloading
a complete kernel tarball. I'll try the text console later (though
probably at the cost of yet another reboot...)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]