SCSI + IDE = HANG

From: syzygy (syzygy@pubnix.org)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 12:33:03 EST

I have had a few random hangs with my machine since I added a maxtor 27
gig IDE drive to it. I kept trying different combinations of bus
positions etc. I figured it was flacky hardware or something. I added
the drive in the early 2.4 series. Recently I became slightly suspicious
of my Adaptec 2940U2W after reading all of the problems it had in the
early 2.4. So I upgraded the bios and got kernel 2.4.17. Though the
problem seems diminished it is certainly not gone...

Now for the kicker... I found a 99% guarenteed way to hard lock my
box. I tried ripping two cds at a time. One on the ide bus and one on
the scsi. Just a note the data is being stored to the maxtor 27 gig
mentioned above. The reason I point to the IDE + SCSI combo is that I can
do two scsi cdroms ripping to the maxtor and it works much more
reliably. I am under the impression that IDE CDROMs use the ide bus quite
heavily under ripping...

General notes:
Motherboard: Supermicro P6DBU w/onboard 2940U2W
CPU: Dual PII 350mhz
SCSI Bus: 0: IBM 9gig U2W, 1: IBM 4gig U2W, 2: Pioneer DVDROM (used for
        ripping)
IDE BUS 0: Maxtor 27 gig
IDE BUS 1: Teac IDE CDRom

Also happens with Teac Slaved to Maxtor

Questions, Comments, Ideas?

Keith Baker
Email: Syzygy@pubnix.org

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality.