Re: SMP Pentium III, GA-6VXDC7 MoBo. -- 2.4.18-pre7 SMP not working

From: W. Michael Petullo (mike@flyn.org)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 09:12:41 EST

> I have a home-built dual Pentium III computer which does not seem to
> want to run recent SMP kernels. The computer is built on a Gigabyte
> GA-6VXDC7 motherboard, which is in turn based on a VIA Apollo Pro chip-set.
> It is an exclusively SCSI system -- I do not compile any IDE drivers
> into my kernel.
>
> Kernel 2.4.12 works fine when compiled with SMP on. However, anything
> newer fails to load when compiled with SMP support. In the failing cases,
> lilo prints its uncompressing kernel and booting kernel messages followed
> by a system hang -- the kernel never prints anything.
>
> Kernel.org
> Vanilla CONFIG_SMP=y # CONFIG_SMP is not set
> Version SMP Status UP Status
> 2.4.10 SMP works Fine
> 2.4.11 Wouldn't touch Wouldn't touch
> 2.4.12 SMP Works Fine
> 2.4.13 SMP does not boot Fine
> 2.4.14 Did not try Did not try
> 2.4.15 Did not try Did not try
> 2.4.16 SMP does not boot Fine
> 2.4.17 SMP does not boot Fine
> 2.4.18-pre7 SMP does not boot Fine
>
> Since the kernel does not even peep an oops message, I'm not sure where
> to start debugging. Is anyone else having similar problems?

I'm having a lot of trouble debugging this one. Prinks are not being
displayed on the screen, though I know they are being executed. I have
even tried William Lee Irwin's early_printk patch to try and get printks
to display. Apparently the prink buffer is not being flushed this early
in the kernel code?

The only debugging technique I have found is to insert return statements
in order to avoid different sections of code. I find, for example,
that if I make the first statement of the smpboot.c:do_boot_cpu a return,
the kernel will boot (without SMP on, of course).

Obviously, this is not the best technique. I have been able to narrow
the location of the bug down a little with it, but I feel I will be able
to discover little more with this technique.

I'm not sure what else to do without printks.

I would appreciate any tips on debugging smpboot.c.

Thank you.

--
Mike