Re: Continuing /dev/random problems with 2.4

From: Ken Brownfield (brownfld@irridia.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 14:38:33 EST

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:40:35AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[...]
| > Exhausting entropy to zero under high use is not uncommon (that is a
| > motivation for my netdev-random patch). What boggles me is why it does
| > not regenerate?
[...]
| Anything that is meant to be a server really pretty much needs an
| enthropy generator these days. We really should push vendors to
| provide it (together with serial console firmware and other "well,
| duh" things rackmount servers should have as a matter of course.)

Yes, in fact we do have entropy generators in some cases, especially on
Solaris. I think this is a very good idea -- it would be extremely nice
to see this especially since SO much more is dependent upon entropy
these days. More than about 7 years ago I would have thought entropy
was a nethack clone.

Of course, in my case deleting the /dev/random character node still
doesn't allow entropy to drain in (after at least a month) so I suspect
the kernel's entropy generation would be sufficient if it didn't
artificially stall or drain from within the kernel.

Thanks much,

--
Ken.
brownfld@irridia.com