Re: [RFC] x86 ELF bootable kernels/Linux booting Linux/LinuxBIOS

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 10:42:45 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > a) More complex. Just barely. b) Yep.
> > c) Yep.
> > d) More flexible and can handle what ever it needs to do tomorrow,
> > without mods. All firmware has it's own different format. With LinuxBIOS
> > things are
> > simple enough that you can add a make target instead of having to
> > write a specific bootloader to support it.
> >

> I cannot agree with you on (d). In fact, you have already brushed off a
> multiple of issues I have raised, such as interactivity.

What is magic about interactivity? What makes this a different
problem? We approach booting from totally different perspectives,
which makes communicating clearly hard.

If you spell out individual problems I will show you how I would solve
them.

I believe I have done my due diligence and provided appropriate
channels for everything, but I'm willing to test it.

> I don't particularly care if you want to make this the LinuxBIOS
> platform-specific whatever, but when you start talking about making it the grand
> universal thing, you have me seriously concerned.

Hey it isn't wrong to dream of world domination :)

Eric