Re: rm-ing files with open file descriptors

From: christophe barbé (christophe.barbe.ml@online.fr)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 09:51:32 EST

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 05:18:57AM +0100, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> Whether that was an intended or accidental feature only someone with
> more insight into Unix history can answer. It's that feature that lets
> us do live upgrades of distributions without rebooting (executables and
> libraries can be replaced without affecting the currently running
> processes), at the very least much easier than it would be without this
> behaviour.

I remember that previous debian release come with a patched kernel to
allow live upgrade. It was explained in the FAQ that the patch was
required for this purpose.

   7.2 Debian claims to be able to update a running program;
      how is this accomplished?

The debian FAQ has been updated because now debian uses a pristine
kernel.

What was in this patch?

Christophe

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia. --Joseph Wood Krutch