Re: clarification about redhat and vm

From: Christoph Rohland (cr@sap.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 05:50:59 EST

Hi Andrea,

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> and I assume you were using either ext2 or reiserfs anyways, so the
> fsync problem never affected you since the first place (also with
> older kernels) I believe.

It was done on ext2 _and_ against raw devices. Same dendency on both
setups.

Further on I doubt the test is very depended on fsync. It should be
swap io limited since it runs with a way too small memory
configuration.

If you have enough memory the test is not very IO intensive either
despite the fact that a big database is running. To bring the database
really into IO you have to add application servers. (Fujitsu Siemens
took 160 4way Linux servers to saturate a database server running
Solaris on 64way FSC Primepower.)

BTW since we are just bashing VMs: I always hear that 2.2 is so much
better: The first 2.2 kernel which could really survive this test was
2.2.19!

Greetings
                Christoph