Re: Hardwired drivers are going away?

From: Florian Weimer (Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 07:39:01 EST

"Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@baby-dragons.com> writes:

> Hello Alan ,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > 1. security, if you don't need any modules you can disable modules entirly
>> > and then it's impossible to add a module without patching the kernel first
>> > (the module load system calls aren't there)
>>
>> Urban legend.
> I do not agree . Got proof ? Yes that is a valid question .

http://www.phrack.org/phrack/58/p58-0x07

Globally preloading a shared library in user space is almost as
effective, BTW, unless your critical binaries are linked statically
(which is unusual on most systems nowadays).

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/