Re: 2.4.17 strange ext2 error

From: Patrick Scharrenberg (pittipatti@web.de)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 19:49:05 EST

Hi,

> On Jan 17, 2002 21:40 +0100, Patrick Scharrenberg wrote:
> > yesterday I got a very strange ext2 error on my linux machine..
> > The system has a 5-disk raid-5-software-raid and on top of this there is
one
> > ext2 fs which was clean when mounted 1 week ago..
> >
> > kernel 2.4.17 (since 1 week)
> > before it was 2.4.10
>
> When you say it was "clean when mounted 1 week ago" does this mean that
you
> had run e2fsck on it at that time, or just that it did not report any
> errors when you mounted it? Sometimes it is possible to have corruption
> in your fs for a while without noticing it if you don't run fsck on it.

I meant that I had run fsck one week ago, because the filesystem was
corrupt (but this was my fault).
At that same time (but after the fsck) I decided to switch to kernel 2.4.17.
But this shouldn't cause such errors with file-loss...

I don't know if it is save for me to run 2.4.17. For now I switched back to
2.4.10.
Tomorrow I'll start an new backup of the data and then try again the.17.
If the error occurs again, I'll post again.... :-)

..patrick