Re: Ramdisk doesn't work well in 2.4.17

From: Silviu Marin-Caea (silviu@delrom.ro)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 07:02:08 EST

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:26:47 +0200
Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu@delrom.ro> wrote:

Thanks to all who answered.

To Andrew Morton: unfortunately, the patch doesn't fix it for me.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.18pre2aa2/00_ramdisk-buffercache-2

This is what I do:

compile a kernel with the attached .config
Notes about configuration:
* Loopback device support
* Network block device support
* RAM disk support with a default size of 40960 (that's not an error)
disk size* Initial RAM disk initrd support

* No Kernel module loader

Tried kernel versions: 2.4.17, 2.4.18pre1 with the above patch,
2.4.18pre3 and pre4

Then:
rdev bzImage /dev/fd0 && rdev -r bzImage 49152 && rdev -R bzImage 0
dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0

Using this rootdisk:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/partimage/partimage-0.6.1-i386-rootdisk-1.raw
I also tried with a modified version that uses a regular init, not
busybox.

This happens:

VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 204k freed
Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

--
Silviu Marin-Caea - Network & Systems Administrator - Delta Romania
Phone +4093-267961