Re: kernel log messages using wrong timezone -- solved

From: Chris Friesen (cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 16:47:52 EST

"Friesen, Christopher [CAR:3R60:EXCH]" wrote:

> How does the kernel figure out how to timestamp the log output? The reason I'm
> asking is that we have a system that has /etc/localtime pointing to the
> Americas/Montreal timezone, but the log output from the kernel appears to be
> UTC.

Well, it turns out that klogd was the culprit. We were booting a ramdisk,
setting the time, starting syslog, and then setting the timezone from an
NFS-mounted file. klogd checks the timezone on startup only, so changing the
timezone did not affect the output of klogd. Guess we'll have to restart syslog
after setting the timezone.

Thanks to those who responded.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557