Re: losetuping files in tmpfs fails?

From: Ishan Oshadi Jayawardena (ioshadi@sltnet.lk)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 13:47:14 EST

Greetings.

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Yup, tmpfs doesn't provide some of the facilities which the
<snip>
> It's not obvious that there's a burning need to support loop-on-tmpfs
> though, is there?

        No, there isn't. I noticed this myself a few months back, but didn't
complain because, well, the purpose of tmpfs is to provide support for
POSIX shared memory, right? (At least according to Configure.help).
{If,/ Because} tmpfs does that correctly, it's not broken.
        The only app I've encountered that breaks with this is mkinitrd and
associates, but it should at least attempt to fallback to the user's
home directory IMHO (without complaining "you're all out of loop
devices" - an old Redhat mkinitrd).

Cheerio!

         - ioj