Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 17:08:33 EST

Dave Jones <davej@suse.de>:
> Someone building a new kernel for a box (ie administrator) will have
> root priveledges. Though running 'make guessconfig' or whatever as
> root would suck.

Yeah, that's my point. Saying "just make it suid" is not a good answer,
because it ignores the fact that smart sysdamins don't want to run suid
programs more than absolutely necessary. Not to mention screwing people
who follow Linus's good advice and configure/build kernels as non-root.

> > There is already stuff in /proc that seems to be there for precisely this
> > reason. So /proc/dmi would hardly be a violation of norms.
>
> Just because its a shitbucket, doesn't mean we should keep adding to it.
> It's become the dumping ground for so much crap that just doesn't need to
> be there.

But this is not a bad reason. Allowing people to avoid running suid
programs is a *good* reason.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -- Abraham Lincoln - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/