Re: Any lingering Athlon bugs in Kernel 2.4.14?

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 04:01:25 EST

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Calin A. Culianu wrote:

> > > Bugs in the Athlon optimizations present in the Linux kernel.
> >
> > The only bugs we've seen recently appear to be in Athlon chipsets and/or
> > BIOS setup. 2.4.14 should sort those by poking around and doing what the
> > BIOS didn't
>
> Alan:
>
> Specifically what chipsets are affected, and/or what things in the BIOS
> can trigger problems? (I have VIA KT266 chipsets on SpaceWalker AK31
> motherboards... 33 of them to be precise.. and many of the machines seem
> to be somewhat unstable!)
VIA KT133 KT133 for sure, with abit bios 1.3R. but We saw report of other
bios with similar problema.
A work around for the bioses with the 55.7 register not setted to 0 has
been merged in the main kernel starting from 2.4.11.

about symptoms... Hand at boot, filesystem corruption under eavy I/O
load...
Do not worry, those are kind of problems that everyone could hardly
ignore.

Luigi