Re: Lockup in IDE code

From: Mark Zealey (mark@zealos.org)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 14:41:42 EST

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:56:54AM -0700, Richard Gooch wrote:

> GXavier Bestel writes:
> > le ven 09-11-2001 à 03:17, Richard Gooch a écrit :
> > > Hi, all. I tried to use my IDE CD-ROM today, the first time in a
> > > long while. When attempting to mount it, the machine locked up,
> > > hard. Even SysReq didn't work.
> >
> > Do you have a read error on your CD ?
>
> No. I did mention that when I turned off DMA, it worked fine.
>
> BTW: I've gotten a few "helpful" responses saying "try using hdparm to
> turn off DMA". Well, those people obviously hadn't bothered reading
> all my message, because I stated that when I disabled DMA with hdparm,
> it worked fine.
> </grumble>

Well, obviously your drive or mobo doesn't support DMA. I noticed that all the
other devices (hd[acd]) were in PIO mode, why not try setting dma mode on one of
them. Most CD's I've come across don't do DMA very well, I believe that the DMA
is mostly only useful for DVD's, where you need a high transfer rate to watch a
movie.

--

Mark Zealey mark@zealos.org mark@itsolve.co.uk