Re: PROBLEM: Linux updates RTC secretly when clock synchronizes

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 04:32:54 EST

Hi!

> >> If some idiot writes a hwclock replacement that doesn't do logging...
>
> > Then it is *his* problem. That's no excuse for putting it into kernel.
>
> So you believe viruses are a good thing to have? Sorry, I have to
> disagree with you.

> Take the position of a sysadmin who can't understand why the system
> clock on his computer keeps getting randomly changed under Linux, and
> has verified using another operating system that it isn't a hardware
> problem, then ask yourself what said sysadmin would expect from the
> kernel to help him/her track the problem down. Would said sysadmin
> prefer to be told...
>
> 1. "Look in the system log - you'll get a message every time any
> program writes to the RTC."
>
> 2. "Sorry, you'll have to go through every piece of software on
> your system and find the one that's updating the system clock
> that shouldn't be."
>
> According to your comments, you prefer (2). I most definitely prefer
> (1).

Hmm, and if some malicious software insmods kernel module to work
around your printk()?

We are talking root only here. If sofware with uid 0 is malicious, you
have big problems.
                                                                Pavel

--
Casualities in World Trade Center: 6453 dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.