Re: speed difference between using hard-linked and modular drives?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 02:24:25 EST

   From: Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>
   Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 23:16:08 -0800

   Well on my setup, there are more hash buckets than there are
   pages in the system. So - basically empty. If memory serves
   me, never more than two pages in a bucket.

Ok, this is what I expected. The function is tuned for
having N_HASH_CHAINS being roughly equal to N_PAGES.

If you want to experiment with smaller hash tables, there
are some hacks in the FreeBSD sources that choose a different "salt"
per inode. You xor the salt into the hash for each page on that
inode. Something like this...

Franks a lot,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com