loopback device problem and unrequested modules trying to load: linux-2.4.14

From: Cheryl Homiak (chomiak@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:49:53 EST

I experienced dependency problems with the 2.2.14 kernel when I tried to
compile in loopback block device, as others have reported. In addition to
this,modprobe was looking for modules which I had not had installed:
sound-service0-0 and sound-slot (may not have the module names verbatim).
I have sound support compiled in to the kernel; there should be no sound
modules loading, and I didn't have any loading before compiling this
kernel. when I rebooted with my oldkernel, those modules were no longer
trying to load. I should clarify that the modules weren't actually
my config to make sure I hadn't requested any modules for sound by
accident.