Re: Bug Report: Dereferencing a bad pointer

From: David Chandler (chandler@grammatech.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:17:05 EST

Dick,

You're right that the one-liner below may not necessarily produce a seg
fault, but shouldn't it terminate normally if it doesn't? After all,
the program just *reads*. Hanging does not seem to be an option!

BTW, your example program produces very similar output for the 2.4 and
2.2 kernels to which I have access. I apologize for any confusion my
original report created -- 0xc0000000 was chosen because of its relation
to the start of the stack frame, and indeed it has nothing
to do with the size of virtual address space.

David Chandler

--

_____ David L. Chandler. GrammaTech, Inc. mailto:chandler@grammatech.com http://www.grammatech.com - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/