Re: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

From: James A Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 19:13:39 EST

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 9:11 pm, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Nov 07, 2001 20:44 +0000, James A Sutherland wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 November 2001 7:38 pm, Ville Herva wrote:
> > > On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:31:24PM +0000, you [James A Sutherland]
claimed:

> > > A stupid question: does ext3 replay the journal before fsck? If not,
> > > the inode errors would be expected...
> >
> > Yes, it does: this was AFTER the journal replay. And yes, it was ext3 not
> > ext2 mounting it (well, either that or ext2 has learned to do journal
> > replays...).
>
> Actuall, e2fsck can also do the journal replay, so depending on whether
> this is the root fs or not, it may be that you get a journal replay and
> still mount it as ext2...

The journal replay occurred on mount, well before fsck was invoked.

> > So, AFTER a journal replay, there were still two damaged inodes
> > - which sounds like Anton's problem. Maybe ext3 just hates Cambridge? :-)
>
> Well, if you had a SCSI error, then it may be that the fs marked an error
> in the superblock, which would force a full fsck also.
>
> Note also, that it is often normal to have "orphaned inodes" cleaned up
> when the journal is cleaned up. This is not an error. I normally have
> these on my system because of PCMCIA cardmgr creating device inodes in /tmp
> and then unlinking them immediately after opening them.

They were not orphaned inodes, they were inodes with incorrect size & block
values...

> If you have an open but unlinked file, then ext3 will delete this file at
> mount/fsck time (unlike reiserfs which leaves it around wasting space).
> Did you actually get files in lost+found, or only the orphaned inode
> message?

Nothing in l&f, just the familiar (from ext2!) scenario of automatic fsck
finding errors, then dropping me to a single-user login to run fsck manually.

James.