Re: How can I know the number of current users in the system?

From: Terje Eggestad (terje.eggestad@scali.no)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 04:28:57 EST

The short answer is; No.

The slightly longer answer is that Linux/Unix kernels don't have a
consept of a logged in user. userids are used for really only one thing,
owner ship of data. In order to do enforce it a process must be running
as a spesific user. Once programs had a userid attached to it, things
rolled on from there. However there is no way of figuring out if a
process is "online" or something else.

However, the big iron *ix'es do this, and I can't remember exactly how
they do it. But another feature often pop up; guaranteeing a users a
minimum CPU percentage. (Even if I hate it, it has merit for RT/responce
critical apps.)

My suggestion is to loop thru the processes and collect a list of all
the userids and form a tree/list of all the processes belonging to each
of them. Then you fair share schedule between the users.

Another issue: did you want to serialize scheduling? (run all the
processes for a user in sequence before starting on the next user?)
Another feature on the "big" *ix'es.

THis is going to have some side effects! nicing a process up or down may
only nice relative to the users other processes, not other users. It may
be what you want, just thought I'd bring it up.

Next issue, do you want to fair share between root and the other users?
(and THAT is a time old discussion...)

TJ

Terje Eggestad terje.eggestad@scali.no Scali Scalable Linux Systems http://www.scali.com

Olaf Helsets Vei 6 tel: +47 22 62 89 61 (OFFICE) P.O.Box 70 Bogerud +47 975 31 574 (MOBILE) N-0621 Oslo fax: +47 22 62 89 51 NORWAY _________________________________________________________________________