Re: Regression testing of 2.4.x before release?

From: Dan Kegel (dank@kegel.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 20:51:49 EST

Luigi Genoni wrote:
> Problem is:
> there is a lot of HW out there, and we should ALL do stress tests, to have
> a wide basis for HWs and test cases. Basically it is very hard to agree
> about a set of stress tests, because we all have different needs, and our
> tests are based on our needs. That is a streght, because they tend to be
> real life tests.

Sure, no argument there.

> In my esperience, if some default set of tests comes out, then software
> tend to be optimized for this set. And that is badly wrong.

My post was motivated by two observations:

1. Alan Cox complains occasionally that Linus' trees are not well tested,
   and can't survive the torture tests that the ac tree goes through before
   release. (e.g.
"2.4.8-ac12
        I'm trying to make sure I can keep this testable
        as 2.4.9 vanilla isnt being stable on my test sets "

2. The STP at OSDLab seems like a great resource that we might be able
to leverage to solve the problem Alan points out.

I'm not suggesting anyone do any less testing. Just the opposite;
if we set things up properly with the STP, we might be able to run
many more tests before each final release.

- Dan