Re: Special Kernel Modification

From: lonnie@outstep.com
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 19:29:01 EST

Hello Ryan,

>From what I can see. With chrooting, I have to make a complete "fake" system an
then place the users below that into a home directory, or make a complete "fake"
system for each user.

I was trying to find a simple solution that would allow for:

I was initially thinking about something like this for each user:

/system (real) /dev/hda4 (chrooted also)

      /bin
      /etc
      /lib

/home (each user chrooted)

     /user1
     | |
     | /system (mounted /dev/hda4)
     | |
     | /bin
     | /etc
     | /lib

     /user2
     | |
     | /system (mounted /dev/hda4)
     | |
     | /bin
     | /etc
     | /lib

     /user n

          /system (mounted /dev/hda4)

                 /bin
                 /etc
                 /lib

The basic problem is that I did not want, for example "user2" to be able to "cd
.." or some thing to go out of user2

I was hoping to be able to accomplish this at the filesystem level somehow, and
possibly without the need to mount the /dev/hda4 onto each /home/user/system, or
without having to make entire copies of the chrooted environment for each user.

Cheers,
Lonnie