Re: 2.4.12-ac3 floppy module requires 0x3f0-0x3f1 ioports

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@mail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 19:15:56 EST

On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 19:00, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
> > A fix for this problem went in to 2.4.13-ac2. Please
> > try that kernel (or a later -ac kernel) and report back.
>
> Well just tried kernel 2.4.13-ac6 and there is absolutely no difference.
>
> After applying the attached patch all works OK...
>
> Maciej Zenczykowski
>
> nb. modprobe rivafb leaves the kernel's idea of whats on screen out of
> sync with the truth. i.e. modprobe rivafb on tty2 and you end up with
> tty1 on the screen, but keypresses going to tty2...

What I would like to know is: What is at 0x3f0-0x3f1 on
your machine, and why does your PnP BIOS list these
two ioports as used by "system peripheral: other"?

On my ThinkPad 600, the BIOS lists 0x3f0-0x3f5 as owned
by the floppy device:
jdthood@thanatos:~$ sudo lspnp -v 08
08 PNP0700 mass storage device: floppy
        irq 6
        io 0x03f0-0x03f5
        dma 2

It looks like there's a bug in your BIOS. What we could do is
patch the PnP BIOS driver so that it refrains from reserving
0x3f0-0x3f1.

I'll let others comment on the appropriateness of your patch
to floppy.c . I don't know whether it's the right thing to
do or not.

--
Thomas Hood