Re: Via Onboard Audio - Round #2

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 00:03:28 EST

Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> OK, I seemed to have made a realization:
>
> When the via82cxxx_audio driver loads (this is in 2.4.12, Debian
> version, which I think is Linus tree with a couple patches), I get these
> errors (which I also think I had on the RH kernels, tho I can't exactly
> check that anymoe, since RH is gone):
>
> IEQ routing conflict for 00:07.5, have irq 5, want irq 11
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0a.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00.0b.0
> via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec (0xAA0000)
> via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec (0xAA0000)
> via82cxxx: Codec rate locked at 48Khz
> via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec (0x800000)
> ac97_codec: AC97 codec, id: 0x4144:0x5361 (Unknown)
> via82cxxx: board #1 at 0x1000, IRQ 5
>
> (note, those were hand typed, I'm writing this up on my workstation not
> the laptop, so no cut and paste, and I'm too lazy to deal with floppies
> at the moment).
>
> In /proc/pci, the audio board is at IRQ 5, device 9 on bus 9.
> lspci says it is device 00:07.5 (as does the above notice).
>
> pcitweak -l reports, for the device:
> PCI: 00:07.5: chip 1106,3058 card 0e11,0097 rev 50 class 04,01,00 hdr 00
>
> In any event, I'm thinking perhaps there is an IRQ conflict happening
> here? I looked in the BIOS, and the BIOS gives me *no* options relating
> to IRQ's (All I see are a couple lpt options, boot order, and
> suspend/resume disabling). I tried modprobe via82cxx_audio irq=5 but
> that gave me errors about the irq option not being valid. How can I
> force the IEQ to 5, or 11, or whatever other IRQ I want?

You cannot, through driver options.

The IRQ routing conflict is definitely the problem. You can try booting
with "PNP OS: No" and maybe other irq options are hidden in your BIOS
setup under an advanced menu.

--
Jeff Garzik      | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024    | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.