Re: graphical swap comparison of aa and rik vm

From: safemode (safemode@speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 18:48:49 EST

So I added more swap, for 461549568 bytes total, and guess what happens? No,
Rik's vm did not beat AA's. You might say, "well then it must have came
close to tying it now since it has enough swap and wont fall victim to the
'speed/size tradeoff'". No, you would be wrong. Rik's VM completely locked
up in some kind of infinite swap loop like it did before in earlier kernels.
My server was swapping ( i saw disk activity) for over 8 hours before i
finally rebooted it. Needless to say that it angers me to unintentionally
lock the computer up. So what's going on here? rik, anyone? I've used this
test before to lock up Rik's VM and it is reproduceable on my machine. With
less swap, it seems to be gone in the latest kernels but when i added more
like Rik said to do, it locked up. For now i'll be running AA kernels until
this is figured out.
What i found insane from the little info provided by the vmstat i had running
at the time was that even with 450+MB of swap, Rik's VM still used it all up.
Why would it work better without that much ram but when i add more, it still
uses it all up and locks up. There's something seriously wrong here. I'm
going to test's andrea's with the new mem config too later. My bet is that
it doesn't lock up for over 8 hours trying to swap.