Re: boot/root floppies in modern times?

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 12:08:00 EST

a number of new laptops have pci ethernet interfaces on mini-pci cards...
on both an hp omnibook 500 (3com 9xx), and a thinkpad x20 (intel) I've
done a network install of redhat 7.1 using the single bootnet floppy.

regards
joelja

 On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Ookhoi wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > I got a new Thinkpad, it doesn't have an internal floppy drive. Instead
> > it has a USB floppy. It can boot from the floppy just fine, I can get my
> > custom boot disk's kernel loaded. But when it comes to loading the root
> > image I run into trouble.
>
> I had the same problem with my vaio c1ve. Only a usb floppy drive, and
> no way to let it read the second floppy disk or to make it mount root
> via nfs as the nic got active after the bootp requests.
>
> I solved this by using one floppy with a initrd with enough tools to
> download the drivers which were not in the kernel (for example usb &
> scsi, or ide). You then just download the modules plus insmod on your
> ramdisk and of you go.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Ookhoi
> -

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.