Re: 2.4.10aa1 (00_vm-tweaks-1)

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 08:29:04 EST

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > FVWM with 6 open xterms is running
> > XMMS is running
> >
> > mv linux linux.old
> > nice rm -rf linux.old &
> > tar xzf linux-2.4.10.tar.gz &
> > lynx ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/testing
> > 2.4.10 + 00_vm-tweaks-1:
> > interactive use of the machine works all right, but XMMS does sometimes
> > stutter
>
> it didn't happen here but let's look into it.
>
> > This is on a K6 with 300 Mhz. free in 2.4.10 + 00_vm-tweaks-1 gives the
> > My impression is that there's a problem when several processes do heavy
> > non-cachable disk IO.
>
> I've a few ideas on what to change incrementally to vm-tweaks-1, but can
> you send me the `vmstat 1` output, plus also the /proc/meminfo output
> snapshotted at regular intervals while xmms is "stuttering" just to
> avoid looking at the wrong place? thanks,

Attached are:

vmstat: `vmstat 1` output continuously from the beginning of the test
(includes several stuttering periods)

meminfo: /proc/meminfo output of three times when I heard it stuttering
(XMMS doesn't stutter continuously but it has stuttering periods that last
a few seconds - I hope I catched the right moments)

> Andrea

cu
Adrian