Re: Locking comment on shrink_caches()

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 17:03:28 EST

   From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>
   Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:01:02 +0200

   IMHO if we would hold the pagecache lock all the time while shrinking
   the cache, then we could kill the lru lock in first place.

And actually in the pagecache locking patches, doing such a thing
would be impossible :-) since each page needs to grab a different
lock (because the hash chain is potentially different).

Franks a lot,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com